WSIB Coverage in Construction 2013!

If you work in construction, the rules for who must have WSIB coverage have changed.

If you have workers now, you are already required to register with the WSIB, report your workers’ earnings, and pay premiums for their coverage. Starting in 2013 , you must also report your own earnings and pay premiums to the WSIB.

Starting on January 1, 2013, nearly everyone who works in the construction industry must have WSIB coverage. The law already requires employers to cover their workers. Coverage will extend to most of the following business…

Coverage will extend to most of the following business owners in the construction industry:

If you are any of these you must have WSIB coverage unless you qualify for an exemption.
What happens if a firm has more than one classification rate?

When a firm is multi-rated (has more than one business activity), it is more complex to determine who requires coverage, and how to report earnings. We have to consider more factors when a firm performs construction and non-construction activities. Some of these factors are:

  • size of payroll
  • ability to segregate payroll across the multiple business activities,
  • if there is contracting out of construction activities, etc.

 Other factors may apply depending on the specific firm.

Firms with more than one classification unit (CU) need to identify insurable earnings that are considered ‘direct’ or ‘common.’ This helps calculate their total insurable earnings amount. You can find an example of how to identify and allocate these earnings, and how to do a basic calculation under More Than One Classification Unit Assigned in the Administrative Practice Document for Insurable Earnings.

Two exemptions from mandatory coverage