The Occupational Health and Safety Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1 has revised their definition of “worker”.
“worker” means any of the following but does not include an inmate of a correctional institution or like institution or facility who participates inside the institution or facility in a work project or rehabilitation program.
- A person who performs work or supplies services for monetary compensation.
- A secondary school student who performs works or supplies services for no monetary compensation as a work experience authorized by their school board
- A person who performs work or supplies services for no monetary compensation under a program approved by a college of applied arts and technology, university or other post-secondary institution.
- A person who receives training from an employer, but who, under the Employment Standards Act, 2000, is not an employee for the purposes of that Act.
- Other persons who perform work or supply services to an employer for no monetary compensation.